What we say
A couple rewrites and 17 beta versions later, our home screen replacement SlideScreen is finally live in the Android Market! If you haven’t read about the app before check out the product page to see what it’s about, or read our original blog post about the ideas behind the design. The reviews have started coming in and they’re really positive, we’re excited! You can read more at TechCrunch, AndroidGuys and a detailed post at These Are the Droids.
Here’s the first release feature set:
- Realtime notification for phone calls, voicemail, SMS, GMail and Calendar appointments.
- Periodic syncing with Google Reader, Google Finance and Twitter.
- Current weather conditions.
- App chooser with custom shortcuts.
- Automatic sign-in and sync for all Google services, no password required.
- Google Reader features: In app customized viewer with share, and synced mark as read support.
- Twitter features: Twidroid integration, share, retweet and reply.
And here’s what we’re working on next:
- Multiple account support for email and twitter.
- More types of email account support (exchange, pop, etc.)
- More features for news and twitter reading to make it easier to navigate between items.
- Top ideas voted for over at the support site.
Thanks to everyone who wrote in and commented on our original design – it was your enthusiasm that convinced us to finish it.
Update: Gizmodo reviewed SlideScreen calling it “one of the most polished Android apps I’ve ever seen, it’s also in itself an argument for how great Android can be.” Read the full review here.
Update: Lifehacker says it “provides way more information on messages, weather, calendar events, Twitter or RSS streams, stocks, and whatever else you want, in a slick-looking black wrapper.” Full review is here.