What we say
We’re making a preview release of SlideScreen 2.0 available today so that we can start getting feedback and so developers can get started on writing plugins! So without further delay here are the features present in the current beta release:
- Plugin API
- Anyone will be able to write a plugin, release it themselves on the market and have their items show up in the list on the home screen. The API includes support for: custom shortcut activities, real time “push” updates to SlideScreen, and “mark as read” callbacks to the plugin. It should also be pretty easy for existing apps to add support for SlideScreen through this API.
- The first plug-in available is an open source Google Voice plugin, which means SlideScreen will also get Google Voice support. More features are needed, but in it’s current state it provides basic functionality and serves as a good example to other developers. Hopefully soon after will follow IMAP/Exchange email support, and Google Buzz.
- Developers, go to the github project for all the API details and source code for the example plugins.
- External home screen support
- We’re replacing our launcher with a shortcut system that will toggle between any other launcher. The most common use will be to switch between SlideScreen and the standard home screen with all your widgets, shortcuts, and wallpapers. But you could also switch between SlideScreen and another custom home screen. Our most common complaint is the missing features from the existing home screen, so this lets us focus on what makes SlideScreen unique and gives you back all the regular homescreen features you love.
- To use, just make SlideScreen your default home screen after install. When in SlideScreen just press Home again to switch between home screens. Note: In it’s current implementation SlideScreen will just launch the first other home screen it finds. If you have multiple home screens installed you may not see the one you want. This will eventually be a setting but for now just uninstall ones you’re not using.
- You can now move information groups between the top and bottom sections, and put them in any order.
- Google Reader upgrades include starring and marking posts shared (also works when offline, will sync later).
- Facebook upgrades include real time comments display (reader will retrieve latest comments upon viewing a post). Also liking and commenting on posts right in the reader (all this also works offline, your likes and comments will be posted when you come back online).
- Refresh current group menu option when in filter mode. Use this to request the latest info in the category you’re viewing.
- Various visual upgrades, new icons, etc.
- A whole bunch of bug fixes.
- A whole bunch of new bugs.
We have plans for more features before 2.0 is officially released, but need help ironing out the issues with what we’ve done so far. Note: There are some significant changes to how the app works in this release, there will be bugs. Please only give it a try if you’re ready for potential problems.
As a final note, this version will eventually be a free upgrade for all existing SlideScreen users.
Hope everyone likes what we’ve been working on, let us know what you think!